Want your child to get a head start on important study habits? With our Study Skills program in Burlington you can help your son or daughter learn how to take on every academic challenge with ease, from elementary school to college and beyond. If your child is starting to fall behind or is looking for ways to get ahead, our tutors can provide valuable study tips that will encourage growth.
Tips for Studying Smart
We mix one-on-one instruction with independent tasks (and lots of opportunities to put developing skills to the test) in order to ensure that good study habits become second nature!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Since no two children are exactly alike, the best approach for encouraging smart study habits and reinforcing positive attitudes and behaviors won’t be the same across the board. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring programs can help. Special attention will be paid to the following skill sets:
- Research skills: Finding and evaluating relevant sources, and writing an accurate bibliography.
- Effective note taking strategies: From color coding to flash cards, study aids can help material stick.
- Active reading skills: Better reading comprehension will be valuable to your child in every subject.
- Time management: Supplement strong study habits with good prioritization and organizational skills.
- Master the writing process: Encourage your child to become a stronger, more effective writer.
- Online safety: Tips for locating and evaluate relevant sources as well as how to share digital information responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our tutors are experts at teaching your teen strong research, writing and study skill as well as digital literacy, time management and goal setting — all of which will come in handy well into adulthood. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Sharpen and build on essential skills: You select the skill sets you'd like us to target — such as note taking, time management or presentations skills — so we're paying the most attention to the areas your teen requires extra support.
- Build confidence for conquering every challenge: We encourage positive attitudes and behaviors so your teen is comfortable persevering to meet high expectations.
- Develop skills that will be useful in the future: Sylvan can guide your son or daughter in building essential skills including goal setting, public speaking and job interview prep!