Developing strong study habits early on is essential if you want your child to succeed. Our Study Skills programs in Fredericksburg can help educate your son or daughter on how to manage increasing workloads from elementary, high school and college to the workforce. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Extra Support for Studying Smart
The changing demands kids and teens face at school call for a foundation of strong study skills. By combining instruction with plenty of practice and chances to test developing skills, we can make sure habits become ingrained!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program takes a comprehensive approach. The following skill sets will be covered:
- Time management: Your child will learn to organize and prioritize much more effectively.
- Active reading strategies: Stronger comprehension is an important asset across all subjects.
- Effective note taking: Flash cards, color coding and other techniques make time spent studying more productive.
- Research skills: Learning how to assess sources and write a bibliography, focusing on particular subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: In time, your son or daughter will become an effective, engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including how to locate and evaluate information, and share digital assets responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors know that teaching your teen things like smart study habits, good time management, how to set goals, digital literacy and strong research and writing skills are essential for success well into adulthood. Our tutors have the ability to inspire your teen to work hard to not only meet, but exceed, expectations. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen the right skills: You choose the skill areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, effective note-taking or presentation skills — so we’re honing in on the areas your teen needs the most guidance.
- Consistently apply the skills in his or her life: We make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to apply newly-learned strategies to projects and big tests. This reinforces concepts and encourages the development of lifelong habits.
- Feel more confident tackling new challenges: In addition to teaching practical skills, we encourage positive behaviors and attitudes so your teen develops confidence and perseverance to conquer big expectations.
- Develop skills that will come in handy in the future: It all starts with thriving in high school, but you want to see your teen succeed through college and beyond, too. Sylvan can help your son or daughter work on essential skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation!