It's not always easy to juggle school-related responsibilities like homework, college prep, advanced classes and extracurricular activities — not to mention socializing! Fortunately, our study skills program in the Hampton Roads – Newport News, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach region is here to help your teen or pre-teen take on his or her busy schedule with confidence. Aimed at students in grades 4-12, our study skills program revolves around “higher order” thinking skills and strategies including academic planning, organization, active listening and resume preparation. These skills will not only help set your child on the path to success in high school and college, but they can also carry forward into his or her personal and professional life. Discover for yourself how our friendly tutors in the Hampton Roads – Newport News, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach region can help your child accomplish goals and realize his or her potential.
A Comprehensive Education
While you might be used to assisting your son or daughter with a math puzzle or an art project, teaching him or her valuable study skills and strategies may be new to you. Using a number of different study strategies and techniques, our tutoring specialists in the Hampton Roads – Newport News, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach region concentrate on important skills that can be applied in the classroom and beyond: time management, organization, strategic planning, academic planning and more.▼
What to Expect
Succeeding academically doesn’t just mean getting a passing grade on a test or an exam. That’s why our study skills experts in the Hampton Roads – Newport News, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach region ensure the bigger picture is accounted for. We have carefully developed our program around preparing your son or daughter for the increasing workloads and growing expectations ahead. This involves teaching strategies for setting goals and equipping students with study tips that can be used over and over again.
Our study skills program focuses on techniques for smarter studying, including:
- Time management competencies for efficiently managing schedules and coursework.
- Strategic and academic planning in order to set and accomplish short-term and long-term projects and goals.
- Organizational abilities for streamlining schoolwork, arranging a personal study area, setting personal expectations and using an academic planner.
- Learning how to identify teacher expectations and use active listening.
- Getting to grips with college admissions requirements, including the college admission essay.
- Job interview tips and how to write a great resume and cover letter.