It's never too early to develop strong study habits. With our Study Skills programs in Weslaco are designed to help students achieve their academic potential and manage an increasingly demanding academic workload from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your child is starting to fall behind or wants to develop the skills to get ahead, our study tips and techniques can make all the difference.
Extra Support for Studying Smart
Developing strong study habits is essential for kids and teens who are facing increasing workloads at school. With a combination of instruction, independent practice and plenty of opportunities to put developing skills to the test, we can ensure habits become a way of life!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring program can make a difference. Special attention will be paid to the following skill sets:
- Time management: Your child will learn how to organize and prioritize, developing more efficient study skills along the way.
- Active reading strategies: Developing better comprehension skills will help your child across all subjects.
- Effective note taking strategies: Using tools like flash cards and color coding can make studying more effective.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject including evaluating sources and writing a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: With practice, your child will become a stronger, more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including learning how to locate, evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors know that teaching your teen things like smart study habits, good time management, how to set goals, digital literacy and strong research and writing skills are essential for success well into adulthood. Our tutors know exactly how to motivate your teen to study hard and strive to meet — and exceed — expectations. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Sharpen and build on essential skills: You select the skill sets you'd like us to target — such as note taking, time management or presentations skills — so we're paying the most attention to the areas your teen requires extra support.
- Learn how to apply skills in his or her life: Our goal is to give your teen plenty of chances to use developing skills for projects and important tests. This solidifies concepts and supports the development of useful habits.
- Build confidence for conquering every challenge: Alongside teaching practical skills, we encourage positive attitudes and behaviors so your teen is comfortable persevering to meet high expectations.
- Develop skills that will be useful in the future: Thriving in high school is one thing, but you want to make sure your teen succeeds outside of school too. Sylvan can guide your son or daughter in building essential skills including goal setting, public speaking and job interview prep!