Developing strong study habits is essential to success! Our Study Skills programs in the Springfield region are focused on equipping kids with important skills they can use in the classroom and in life. That includes workload management skills to help cope with the challenging progression from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your goal is to help keep your son or daughter from falling behind or provide that extra guidance to get ahead, our study tips and strategies are sure to make a positive impact.
Smart and Effective Study Strategies
Combining both instruction and independent learning, we help ensure smart study skills become deep-rooted habits. These are essential habits that children can take with them as they grow up and expectations increase.
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
No two children have the exact same needs. For this reason, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially in relation to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in all subject areas. Rest assured, our Personalized Tutoring program takes into account your child’s unique needs. The skills sets we work on include:
- Active reading strategies: Boosted reading skills means better comprehension in all subject areas.
- Honing the writing process: We can help students better express themselves through writing and become more skilled communicators.
- Note-taking techniques: Get the most out of study time with effective strategies like flash cards, color-coding and more.
- Time management: Challenging workloads can sometimes be overwhelming. We can help your child better organize and prioritize for more efficiency (and less stress!) come homework time.
- Research skills: By focusing on specific subjects, we explore the most effective ways to assess sources and put together bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help kids learn how to find, assess and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From setting goals to developing more effective studying and research habits, we empower teens to hone skills they can carry with them well into their adult years. We provide the motivation and inspiration your child needs to go after goals and reach his or her full potential. Our Advancement & Test Prep program is great for helping your teen:
- Focus on the right topics: This is a modular program, which means you can decide which areas to pay particular attention to, ensuring we focus on your son or daughter’s specific needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students get hands-on with applying their newly developed strategies in order to strengthen concepts and help turn smart habits into lifelong skills.
- Build up confidence: By fostering positive behaviors, we help boost your teen’s confidence and help him or her successfully prepare to achieve big goals.
- Preparation for tackling adult responsibilities: The skills your son or daughter builds at Sylvan aren’t just valuable in college. Your teen will also develop advanced strategies in goal setting, job interview prep, public speaking and more.