Juggling academic responsibilities like schoolwork, essays, college prep and after school activities — not to mention a social life — can certainly be challenging! However, Sylvan’s study skills program in the Houston region can help ensure your teen is well-equipped for this thrilling yet turbulent period in his or her life. We have carefully designed our study skills program for students in grades 4-12, concentrating on “higher order” thinking skills including academic planning, strategic planning and expectation management These skills can help set your child up for success in school, in college and in future careers. Find out how our tutoring experts in the Houston region can help your son or daughter achieve goals and conquer any workload.
Our Comprehensive Approach
While you might be used to assisting your son or daughter with a math puzzle or an art project, teaching him or her valuable study skills and strategies may be new to you. Using a number of different study strategies and techniques, our tutoring specialists in the Houston region concentrate on important skills that can be applied in the classroom and beyond: time management, organization, strategic planning, academic planning and more.▼
What to Expect
Getting a passing grade on a test or exam is one thing, but academic achievement is much more than numbers alone. This is the reason our study skills tutors in the Houston region consider the bigger picture. Our program aims to ensure your child is ready for the increasing workloads and expectations to come in college. This includes diving into proven goal-setting strategies and study techniques that can be applied in a variety of situations.
Through our study skills program, your child will learn effective strategies including:
- Time management to efficiently manage time and workloads.
- Strategic planning and academic planning to set both short-term and long-term goals and projects.
- How to effectively organize schoolwork and a personal study area, set personal expectations and use an academic planner.
- Identifying teacher expectations and priorities.
- How to use active listening.
- Navigating college admissions requirements, including the college admission essay.
- How to interview for a job and write an effective resume and cover letter.