It isn’t always simple to stay on top of academic responsibilities like homework and essays while juggling extracurricular activities, college preparation and a social life at the same time. However, with Sylvan’s study skills program in the Abilene and Sweetwater region, you can provide the guidance and preparation your teen or pre-teen needs to successfully prepare for this exciting yet turbulent time in his or her life. Tailored to students in grades 4-12, our study skills program aims to equip your child with important "higher order" thinking skills and strategies like academic planning, time management and resume preparation. After all, students with effective study skills are equipped to succeed not only in school and college but throughout the rest of their lives. Discover for yourself how our friendly tutors in the Abilene and Sweetwater region can help your child accomplish goals and realize his or her potential.
Our Proven Approach
While you might be used to assisting your son or daughter with a math puzzle or an art project, teaching him or her valuable study skills and strategies may be new to you. Using a number of different study strategies and techniques, our tutoring specialists in the Abilene and Sweetwater region concentrate on important skills that can be applied in the classroom and beyond: time management, organization, strategic planning, academic planning and more.▼
We Can Help With All Kinds of Study Skills, Including:
- Time Management
What to Expect
Achieving academic success is one thing, but there's more to succeeding at school than exams and assignments alone. This is the reason our study skills tutors in the Abilene and Sweetwater region consider the bigger picture. Our program aims to ensure your child is ready for the increasing workloads and expectations to come in college. This involves teaching strategies for setting goals and equipping students with study tips that can be used over and over again.
Our study skills program focuses on techniques for smarter studying, including:
- Efficient and effective time and workload management.
- Strategic and academic planning for successfully setting and achieving short-term and long-term goals and projects.
- Organizational abilities for organizing schoolwork, setting up a personal study area, setting personal expectations and making the most of an academic planner.
- How to identify teacher expectations and priorities.
- How to use active listening.
- Understanding college admissions requirements and how to tackle the college admission essay.
- Job interview preparation, including writing an effective resume and cover letter.