Want your child to get a head start on important study habits? With our Study Skills programs in Beaverton are designed to help students achieve their academic potential and manage an increasingly demanding academic workload from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your child has started to fall behind in class or has the ambition to get ahead, our study tips and techniques are proven to make a big difference.
How to Study Smarter
For kids and teens facing growing demands in the classroom, developing good study habits is essential. We combine instruction with plenty of practice and hands-on exercises to test out developing skills to make sure they are becoming habits!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring programs can be of assistance. You can except the following skill sets to be covered:
- Research skills: Finding and evaluating relevant sources, and writing an accurate bibliography.
- Effective note taking strategies: From color coding to flash cards, study aids can help material stick.
- Active reading skills: Better reading comprehension will be valuable to your child in every subject.
- Time management: Supplement strong study habits with good prioritization and organizational skills.
- Master the writing process: Encourage your child to become a stronger, more effective writer.
- Online safety: Tips for locating and evaluate relevant sources as well as how to share digital information responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Study habits, goal setting, digital literacy, time management and more: our tutors know how to help teens develop practical academic skills that can be used well into adulthood. We work hard to empower teens, inspiring them to study smarter and make better progress towards their full academic potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Learn how to put skills to work: Using newly acquired skills to complete a range of projects and tests is the key to making sure concepts really stick and good habits are formed.
- Build on and sharpen required skills: Whether you want us to focus on note taking, presentation skills or time management, we'll make sure to target the areas your teen needs extra help.
- Improve confidence for meeting challenges head on: While we teach practical skills, we'll also make sure to foster positive attitudes towards studying you're your child feels capable of meeting big expectations.
- Develop competencies that will be essential moving forward: It starts with success in high school, but you want to see your teen continue to thrive after graduation. Sylvan can help with the development of important skills like job interview prep, presenting and goal setting.