Building smart study habits can be key to a brighter future! With our Study Skills programs in the Minot, Bismarck and Dickinson region, your son or daughter has the opportunity to develop skills that will serve them well throughout their education. Areas of focus include time management skills to effectively transition from elementary school to college and even in the workplace. Whether the aim is to prevent your child from falling behind or give them extra support to get ahead, our proven study tips and techniques will make a big difference.
We combine instruction and independent practice to ensure that good study habits become second nature. These are life-long habits kids and teens can carry with them long after graduation!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Each child is different. This is why we never take a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially when certain behaviors and attitudes can have a big impact on every subject. Rest assured our Personalized Tutoring program caters to your son or daughter’s particular needs. The skills sets we work on include:
- Active reading strategies: Boosted reading skills means better comprehension in all subject areas.
- Honing the writing process: We can help students better express themselves through writing and become more skilled communicators.
- Note-taking techniques: Get the most out of study time with effective strategies like flash cards, color-coding and more.
- Time management: Challenging workloads can sometimes be overwhelming. We can help your child better organize and prioritize for more efficiency (and less stress!) come homework time.
- Research skills: By focusing on specific subjects, we explore the most effective ways to assess sources and put together bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help kids learn how to find, assess and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From setting goals to developing more effective studying and research habits, we empower teens to hone skills they can carry with them well into their adult years. Our tutors inspire ambitious students to study smarter, work harder and reach their full potential. Through our Advancement & Test Prep program, your teen will:
- Sharpen the right skills: This is a modular program. You get to decide which areas we focus on, ensuring we attend to your teen's most important needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students enjoy plenty of opportunities to apply their new strategies. This reinforces concepts and turns good habits into lifelong assets.
- Feel more confident: We know how to foster positive behaviors, resulting in confident teens that prepare, persevere and meet big expectations.
- Get a head start on adult responsibilities: These skills don't stop at college. At Sylvan, your son or daughter can work on advanced techniques in goal setting, job interview preparation and even public speaking!