It's never too early to develop strong study habits! Our Study Skills programs in the Wilmington region help equip students with essential skills they can put to good use throughout their education. This includes skills for managing heavy workloads and strategies for easing the transition from elementary school to college and even into the workforce. Whether the aim is to prevent your child from falling behind or give them extra support to get ahead, our proven study tips and techniques will make a big difference.
Get Smart About Studying
We combine instruction and independent practice to ensure that good study habits become second nature. These are life-long habits kids and teens can carry with them long after graduation!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child is unique. That means there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for their education, especially when it comes to behaviors and attitudes that affect performance in every subject. You can feel good knowing our Personalized Tutoring program zeros in on your child’s unique needs. The skills sets we work on include:
- Active reading strategies: Boosted reading skills means better comprehension in all subject areas.
- Honing the writing process: We can help students better express themselves through writing and become more skilled communicators.
- Note-taking techniques: Get the most out of study time with effective strategies like flash cards, color-coding and more.
- Time management: Challenging workloads can sometimes be overwhelming. We can help your child better organize and prioritize for more efficiency (and less stress!) come homework time.
- Research skills: By focusing on specific subjects, we explore the most effective ways to assess sources and put together bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help kids learn how to find, assess and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From getting more proficient at studying and advanced research to setting smart goals, we can help teens enrich skills that they can take with them into adulthood. Our tutors inspire ambitious students to study smarter, work harder and reach their full potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Focus on the right topics: This is a modular program, which means you can decide which areas to pay particular attention to, ensuring we focus on your son or daughter’s specific needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students get hands-on with applying their newly developed strategies in order to strengthen concepts and help turn smart habits into lifelong skills.
- Build up confidence: By fostering positive behaviors, we help boost your teen’s confidence and help him or her successfully prepare to achieve big goals.
- Preparation for tackling adult responsibilities: The skills your son or daughter builds at Sylvan aren’t just valuable in college. Your teen will also develop advanced strategies in goal setting, job interview prep, public speaking and more.