Building smart study habits can be key to a brighter future! Our Study Skills programs in the Wilmington region are focused on equipping kids with important skills they can use in the classroom and in life. We can provide strategies and support for tackling increasing workloads and easing transitions from elementary school to high school or college. Whether your mission is to help keep your child from falling behind or equip them with added guidance to get ahead, our effective study strategies and techniques could make all the difference.
Combining both instruction and independent learning, we help ensure smart study skills become deep-rooted habits. These are fundamental habits that children can take with them long after they graduate!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
No two children have the exact same needs. For this reason, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially in relation to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in all subject areas. Our Personalized Tutoring program caters to the unique learning needs of each child. Here are just some of the skill sets we focus on:
- Active reading strategies: Better comprehension skills are invaluable across the full range of school subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: Comprehension is one thing; expression is another. We help students become more capable and engaging communicators.
- Effective note-taking strategies: Make study time far more efficient and effective with flash cards, color coding and other practical techniques.
- Time management: Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. But your child will learn how to organize and prioritize even the most challenging workload.
- Research skills: We focus on specific subjects in turn, and explore the best ways to evaluate sources and write bibliographies.
- Online safety: We help young learners navigate the internet safely, including how to locate, assess and share digital informational in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From getting more proficient at studying and advanced research to setting smart goals, we can help teens enrich skills that they can take with them into adulthood. Our tutors inspire ambitious students to study smarter, work harder and reach their full potential. Our Advancement & Test Prep program is great for helping your teen:
- Strengthen the right skills: Through this modular program you can choose which topics of study to focus on, which helps ensure your teen’s specific needs are taken care of.
- Build lifelong competencies: We provide plenty of opportunities for Sylvan students to put their new skills to work. This helps engrain key concepts and turn smart habits into lifelong competencies.
- Gain confidence: By encouraging and reinforcing positive behaviors, we can help your teen feel more confident, more motivated and more prepared to take on big tasks.
- Prepare for the future: We can help your teen get a head start on adult responsibilities by working on advanced strategies in goal setting, public speaking, job interview preparation and more.