Developing strong study habits is essential to success! With our Study Skills programs in the Raleigh-Durham region, your son or daughter has the opportunity to develop skills that will serve them well throughout their education. Areas of focus include time management skills to effectively transition from elementary school to college and even in the workplace. Whether your goal is to help keep your son or daughter from falling behind or provide that extra guidance to get ahead, our study tips and strategies are sure to make a positive impact.
Smart and Effective Study Strategies
Through a balanced mix of instruction and independent learning, we help make sure your child’s study habits become ingrained. These are essential habits that children can take with them as they grow up and expectations increase.
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child has different needs. That’s why a one-size-fits-all approach to learning just won’t work, especially when it comes to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in every subject area. Rest assured our Personalized Tutoring program caters to your son or daughter’s particular needs. The skills sets we work on include:
- Active reading techniques: Reading comprehension skills play a key role in all school subjects.
- Conquering the writing process: We can help students become more skilled and proficient writers.
- Helpful strategies for taking notes: Get smart about study time with practical and effective techniques like color-coding and flash cards.
- Time management skills: Sometimes knowing where to begin is the hardest part. We’ll help your child learn how to successfully organize and prioritize a heavy workload.
- Research strategies: We take a deep dive into specific subjects and look at the best ways to write bibliographies and evaluate sources.
- Internet safety: We help kids learn how to use the internet safely and effectively, including finding, evaluating and sharing digital information in a responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
We empower advanced students to master skills that will serve them well in school and beyond, from effective studying and goal-setting habits to writing and research skills. We provide the motivation and inspiration your child needs to go after goals and reach his or her full potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Focus on the right topics: This is a modular program, which means you can decide which areas to pay particular attention to, ensuring we focus on your son or daughter’s specific needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students get hands-on with applying their newly developed strategies in order to strengthen concepts and help turn smart habits into lifelong skills.
- Build up confidence: By fostering positive behaviors, we help boost your teen’s confidence and help him or her successfully prepare to achieve big goals.
- Preparation for tackling adult responsibilities: The skills your son or daughter builds at Sylvan aren’t just valuable in college. Your teen will also develop advanced strategies in goal setting, job interview prep, public speaking and more.