Strong study habits are essential for even the youngest learners. Our Study Skills programs in Port Washington empower students to handle the demands of increasing academic workloads from elementary school to college and beyond. If your child is starting to fall behind or is looking for ways to get ahead, our tutors can provide valuable study tips that will encourage growth.
Study Smart from Day One
The evolving demands facing kids and teens at school require well-developed study habits. From instruction to lots of independent practice and chances to put new skills to work, we can solidify habits into a way of life!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
When every child has specific needs, instilling positive attitudes and study habits can’t be a matter of one size fits all. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program is designed to be comprehensive. A wide range of skills are covered, including:
- Time management: Your child will learn to organize and prioritize much more effectively.
- Active reading strategies: Stronger comprehension is an important asset across all subjects.
- Effective note taking: Flash cards, color coding and other techniques make time spent studying more productive.
- Research skills: Learning how to assess sources and write a bibliography, focusing on particular subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: In time, your son or daughter will become an effective, engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including how to locate and evaluate information, and share digital assets responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors know that teaching your teen things like smart study habits, good time management, how to set goals, digital literacy and strong research and writing skills are essential for success well into adulthood. Our tutors know how to inspire your ambitious teen to study smart and work hard to reach — and surpass — his or her potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build a strong foundation of essential skills: Let us know what areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, presentation skills or note taking — and we'll make sure your teen is getting the right guidance.
- Learn how to apply skills to real life: To solidify the value of newly-acquired skills, we make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to put them to use completing assignments and tests.
- Instill the confidence to take on new challenges: Positive behaviors and attitudes will supplement the practical skills learned so your teen has the confidence to meet any challenge head on.
- Develop skills for the future: Thriving in high school is only the beginning. Sylvan can make sure your son or daughter succeeds well beyond the classroom with essential skills like goal setting, public speaking and how to prepare for a job interview!