Trying to balance everything from schoolwork, essays and projects to college prep, extracurricular events and social activities is no easy task! However, with Sylvan’s study skills program in the Rochester region, you can provide the guidance and preparation your teen or pre-teen needs to successfully prepare for this exciting yet turbulent time in his or her life. We have carefully designed our study skills program for students in grades 4-12, concentrating on “higher order” thinking skills including academic planning, strategic planning and expectation management These skills will not only help set your child on the path to success in high school and college, but they can also carry forward into his or her personal and professional life. Get to know how our expert tutors in the Rochester region can help your son or daughter accomplish goals and take on any workload confidently.
A Practical Approach for Tangible Results
You might be used to helping your child with a math problem or English essay, but teaching effective study skills and habits is not so easy. Using a variety of study tips, tactics and strategies, our tutors in the Rochester region focus on practical skills that can be used in school and beyond: how to be more organized, how to plan projects, how to achieve goals, and more.▼
We Can Help With All Kinds of Study Skills, Including:
- Time Management
What to Expect
Passing a test or exam is one thing, but there’s more to success in school than grades alone. That's why our study skills experts in the Rochester region keep the big picture in mind. We have specially designed our program to make certain your son or daughter is well prepared for the mounting course loads and expectations to come. That includes teaching proven goal-setting strategies and study tips that can be used time and again. In addition to these life-long skills, we also continually reinforce positive attitudes, building your teen's confidence at a crucial point in his or her journey to adulthood.
Through our study skills program, your child will learn effective strategies including:
- Time management to successfully manage schedules and schoolwork.
- Academic and strategic planning to set concrete short-term and long-term projects and goals.
- Organization to create an orderly study area and better tackle schoolwork.
- Performance management to set personal expectations and use an academic planner.
- Expectation management for successfully identifying teacher expectations and priorities.
- How to use active listening.
- Understanding and tackling college admissions requirements, including the college essay.
- Job interview preparation techniques, including crafting and effective resume and cover letter, and practicing interview questions.