Developing strong study habits is essential to success! Our Study Skills programs in the Albany, Schenactedy and Troy region help equip students with essential skills they can put to good use throughout their education. This includes skills for managing heavy workloads and strategies for easing the transition from elementary school to college and even into the workforce. No matter if your child is starting to fall behind in school or eager to get ahead, our proven programs deliver real results.
Smart and Effective Study Strategies
Through a balanced mix of instruction and independent learning, we help make sure your child’s study habits become ingrained. After all, kids and teens need these habits in school — and long after they graduate!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child is unique. That means there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for their education, especially when it comes to behaviors and attitudes that affect performance in every subject. Our Personalized Tutoring program caters to the unique learning needs of each child. The skills sets we work on include:
- Active reading strategies: Better comprehension skills are invaluable across the full range of school subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: Comprehension is one thing; expression is another. We help students become more capable and engaging communicators.
- Effective note-taking strategies: Make study time far more efficient and effective with flash cards, color coding and other practical techniques.
- Time management: Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. But your child will learn how to organize and prioritize even the most challenging workload.
- Research skills: We focus on specific subjects in turn, and explore the best ways to evaluate sources and write bibliographies.
- Online safety: We help young learners navigate the internet safely, including how to locate, assess and share digital informational in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
We empower advanced students to master skills that will serve them well in school and beyond, from effective studying and goal-setting habits to writing and research skills. Our tutors know how to motivate and inspire students to reach their goals and get the best possible results. Through our Advancement & Test Prep program, your teen will:
- Sharpen the right skills: This is a modular program. You get to decide which areas we focus on, ensuring we attend to your teen's most important needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students enjoy plenty of opportunities to apply their new strategies. This reinforces concepts and turns good habits into lifelong assets.
- Feel more confident: We know how to foster positive behaviors, resulting in confident teens that prepare, persevere and meet big expectations.
- Get a head start on adult responsibilities: These skills don't stop at college. At Sylvan, your son or daughter can work on advanced techniques in goal setting, job interview preparation and even public speaking!