Want to your to have strong study habits at his or her disposal from a young age? Our Study Skills programs in Nutley empower students to reach their full potential when faced with the challenges of a growing workload, from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Extra Support for Studying Smart
When kids and teens face growing demands kids at school, it's critical to have well-developed study habits. By combining instruction with plenty of practice and chances to test developing skills, we can make sure habits become ingrained!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
When every child has specific needs, instilling positive attitudes and study habits can’t be a matter of one size fits all. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring program comes in. Here are the skill sets you can expect to be covered:
- Effective note taking strategies: There are many ways to make study time more productive, such as flash cards and color coding.
- Active reading strategies: Strong comprehension skills are important in every subject.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject, we explore how to evaluate sources and create a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: We know how to bring out each student's inner writer, transforming them into much more effective communicators.
- Time management: Take the stress out of growing workloads with advanced organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Online safety: We help students learn how to use the internet safely, including how to evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors teach teens skills that can be used in school, college and beyond, including digital literacy, goal setting, study habits, time management and more. We inspire ambitious students to study smarter and reach their potential in all subjects. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen the right skills: You choose the skill areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, effective note-taking or presentation skills — so we’re honing in on the areas your teen needs the most guidance.
- Consistently apply the skills in his or her life: We make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to apply newly-learned strategies to projects and big tests. This reinforces concepts and encourages the development of lifelong habits.
- Feel more confident tackling new challenges: In addition to teaching practical skills, we encourage positive behaviors and attitudes so your teen develops confidence and perseverance to conquer big expectations.
- Develop skills that will come in handy in the future: It all starts with thriving in high school, but you want to see your teen succeed through college and beyond, too. Sylvan can help your son or daughter work on essential skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation!