Building smart study habits can be key to a brighter future! Our Study Skills programs in the Columbia and Jefferson City region are designed to equip your child with valuable skills they can put to good use in school and beyond. That includes workload management skills to help cope with the challenging progression from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your mission is to help keep your child from falling behind or equip them with added guidance to get ahead, our effective study strategies and techniques could make all the difference.
Smart and Effective Study Strategies
Through a combination of instruction and independent learning, we help ensure effective study habits become second nature. After all, kids and teens face growing demands and expectations that don't stop at school — they're still there after graduation!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
No two children have the exact same needs. For this reason, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially in relation to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in all subject areas. You can feel good knowing our Personalized Tutoring program zeros in on your child’s unique needs. You can expect your child to be equipped with a skill set that includes:
- Active reading strategies: Boosted reading skills means better comprehension in all subject areas.
- Honing the writing process: We can help students better express themselves through writing and become more skilled communicators.
- Note-taking techniques: Get the most out of study time with effective strategies like flash cards, color-coding and more.
- Time management: Challenging workloads can sometimes be overwhelming. We can help your child better organize and prioritize for more efficiency (and less stress!) come homework time.
- Research skills: By focusing on specific subjects, we explore the most effective ways to assess sources and put together bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help kids learn how to find, assess and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
We empower advanced students to master skills that will serve them well in school and beyond, from effective studying and goal-setting habits to writing and research skills. Our tutors are here to provide the motivation and inspiration students need to achieve all their goals. Features of our Advancement & Test Prep program include:
- Strengthen the right skills: Through this modular program you can choose which topics of study to focus on, which helps ensure your teen’s specific needs are taken care of.
- Build lifelong competencies: We provide plenty of opportunities for Sylvan students to put their new skills to work. This helps engrain key concepts and turn smart habits into lifelong competencies.
- Gain confidence: By encouraging and reinforcing positive behaviors, we can help your teen feel more confident, more motivated and more prepared to take on big tasks.
- Prepare for the future: We can help your teen get a head start on adult responsibilities by working on advanced strategies in goal setting, public speaking, job interview preparation and more.