Developing strong study habits is essential to success! With our Study Skills programs in the Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek region, your son or daughter has the opportunity to develop skills that will serve them well throughout their education. This includes time management skills, strategies for taking on heavier workloads, research tips and more. Whether your mission is to help keep your child from falling behind or equip them with added guidance to get ahead, our effective study strategies and techniques could make all the difference.
Effective Study Techniques
We combine instruction and independent practice to ensure that good study habits become second nature. After all, kids and teens need these habits in school — and long after they graduate!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child has different needs. That’s why a one-size-fits-all approach to learning just won’t work, especially when it comes to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in every subject area. Our Personalized Tutoring program caters to the unique learning needs of each child. The skills sets we work on include:
- Active reading strategies: Better comprehension skills are invaluable across the full range of school subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: Comprehension is one thing; expression is another. We help students become more capable and engaging communicators.
- Effective note-taking strategies: Make study time far more efficient and effective with flash cards, color coding and other practical techniques.
- Time management: Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. But your child will learn how to organize and prioritize even the most challenging workload.
- Research skills: We focus on specific subjects in turn, and explore the best ways to evaluate sources and write bibliographies.
- Online safety: We help young learners navigate the internet safely, including how to locate, assess and share digital informational in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From setting goals to developing more effective studying and research habits, we empower teens to hone skills they can carry with them well into their adult years. Our tutors inspire ambitious students to study smarter, work harder and reach their full potential. Features of our Advancement & Test Prep program include:
- Strengthen the appropriate skills: This modular program allows you to choose which topics to focus on, making sure we address your teen’s particular needs.
- Build lifelong competencies: We provide students with an abundance of opportunities to apply their new skills. This helps ensure concepts stick and transforms effective techniques into lifelong habits.
- Boost confidence: Our tutors know how to motivate, inspire and reinforce positive behaviors, leading to more confidence, better preparation and greater academic success.
- Prepare for greater responsibilities ahead: These skills extend far beyond school. When your teen comes to Sylvan, he or she can develop advanced techniques when it comes to setting goals, preparing for a job interview or giving a presentation.