Looking to make sure your child is fostering good study habits early on? Our Study Skills programs in Timonium can help educate your son or daughter on how to manage increasing workloads from elementary, high school and college to the workforce. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Study Smart from Day One
The growing demands of kids and teens face at school call for well-developed study habits. We mix one-on-one instruction with independent tasks (and lots of opportunities to put developing skills to the test) in order to ensure that effective habits become second nature!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
The right approach for instilling positive attitudes towards studying and smart study habits depends on each child’s unique needs. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program is designed to be comprehensive. You can expect the following skill sets to be covered:
- Research skills: Finding and evaluating relevant sources, and writing an accurate bibliography.
- Effective note taking strategies: From color coding to flash cards, study aids can help material stick.
- Active reading skills: Better reading comprehension will be valuable to your child in every subject.
- Time management: Supplement strong study habits with good prioritization and organizational skills.
- Master the writing process: Encourage your child to become a stronger, more effective writer.
- Online safety: Tips for locating and evaluate relevant sources as well as how to share digital information responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Teaching your teen digital literacy, smart study habits, goal setting, time management and research and writing skills that he or she will put to good use well into adulthood is what our expert tutors are trained for. Our tutors know exactly how to motivate your teen to study hard and strive to meet — and exceed — expectations. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen the right skills: You choose the skill areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, effective note-taking or presentation skills — so we’re honing in on the areas your teen needs the most guidance.
- Consistently apply the skills in his or her life: We make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to apply newly-learned strategies to projects and big tests. This reinforces concepts and encourages the development of lifelong habits.
- Feel more confident tackling new challenges: In addition to teaching practical skills, we encourage positive behaviors and attitudes so your teen develops confidence and perseverance to conquer big expectations.
- Develop skills that will come in handy in the future: It all starts with thriving in high school, but you want to see your teen succeed through college and beyond, too. Sylvan can help your son or daughter work on essential skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation!