Strong study habits are essential for even the youngest learners. With our Study Skills programs in Alexandria are designed to help students achieve their academic potential and manage an increasingly demanding academic workload from elementary school to college and beyond. Our tutors are here to provide assistance with study tips whether your child is slipping behind or looking for strategies to get ahead, so he or she is sure to progress.
Guidance for Studying Smart
By combining instruction with plenty of practice and chances to test developing skills, we can make sure good study habits become ingrained!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. But our Personalized Tutoring program is broad, detailed, and customizable. You can expect the following skill sets to be covered:
- Research skills: Finding and evaluating relevant sources, and writing an accurate bibliography.
- Effective note taking strategies: From color coding to flash cards, study aids can help material stick.
- Active reading skills: Better reading comprehension will be valuable to your child in every subject.
- Time management: Supplement strong study habits with good prioritization and organizational skills.
- Master the writing process: Encourage your child to become a stronger, more effective writer.
- Online safety: Tips for locating and evaluate relevant sources as well as how to share digital information responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our tutors are experts at teaching your teen strong research, writing and study skill as well as digital literacy, time management and goal setting — all of which will come in handy well into adulthood. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen the right skills: You choose the skill areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, effective note-taking or presentation skills — so we’re honing in on the areas your teen needs the most guidance.
- Feel more confident tackling new challenges: We encourage positive behaviors and attitudes so your teen develops confidence and perseverance to conquer big expectations.
- Develop skills that will come in handy in the future: Sylvan can help your son or daughter work on essential skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation!