Want to ensure your child is developing strong study habits early on? The goal of our Study Skills programs in Johnston is to provide your son or daughter with the tools that will help them tackle growing workloads starting in elementary school all the way to college and beyond. Providing effective study tips is what our tutors do best, so if your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead in class, we’re here to make sure they achieve their goals.
Studying Smarter with Instant Results
Sound study habits are the perfect antidote for the growing demands kids and teens face at school. We mix one-on-one instruction with independent tasks (and lots of opportunities to put developing skills to the test) in order to ensure that effective habits become second nature!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Seeing as every child has specialized needs, instilling helpful habits that emphasize positive behaviors and attitudes towards study habits won’t necessary be one size fits all. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program is designed to be comprehensive. It covers a diverse array of academic areas, including:
- Active reading: Nurturing strong comprehension skills will be helpful across all subjects.
- Time management: Efficient study skills rely on the ability organize and prioritize work.
- Note taking strategies: Utilizing tools such as flash cards and color coding can make studying more efficient.
- Research: How to evaluate sources, find relevant information and write a bibliography.
- Understanding the writing process: Through practice, your child will become a more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Finding, evaluating and sharing digital information in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Study habits, goal setting, digital literacy, time management and more: our tutors know how to help teens develop practical academic skills that can be used well into adulthood. By motivating and inspiring hard work, our tutors can ensure your teen reaches his or her full potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Learn how to put skills to work: Using newly acquired skills to complete a range of projects and tests is the key to making sure concepts really stick and good habits are formed.
- Build on and sharpen required skills: Whether you want us to focus on note taking, presentation skills or time management, we'll make sure to target the areas your teen needs extra help.
- Improve confidence for meeting challenges head on: While we teach practical skills, we'll also make sure to foster positive attitudes towards studying you're your child feels capable of meeting big expectations.
- Develop competencies that will be essential moving forward: It starts with success in high school, but you want to see your teen continue to thrive after graduation. Sylvan can help with the development of important skills like job interview prep, presenting and goal setting.