Want to encourage your child to start developing strong study habits as soon as possible? Our Study Skills programs in Hiawatha are designed to help your son or daughter learn the tools to conquer growing workloads starting in elementary school and beyond. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Studying Smarter with Instant Results
For kids and teens facing growing demands in the classroom, developing good study habits is essential. At Sylvan, instruction is supplemented with lots of opportunity for hands-on practice to test out new skills and guarantee lifelong habits are being formed!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring program can make a difference. Special attention will be paid to the following skill sets:
- Time management: Your child will learn how to organize and prioritize, developing more efficient study skills along the way.
- Active reading strategies: Developing better comprehension skills will help your child across all subjects.
- Effective note taking strategies: Using tools like flash cards and color coding can make studying more effective.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject including evaluating sources and writing a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: With practice, your child will become a stronger, more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including learning how to locate, evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors know that teaching your teen things like smart study habits, good time management, how to set goals, digital literacy and strong research and writing skills are essential for success well into adulthood. Our tutors know exactly how to motivate your teen to study hard and strive to meet — and exceed — expectations. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen the right skills: You choose the skill areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, effective note-taking or presentation skills — so we’re honing in on the areas your teen needs the most guidance.
- Consistently apply the skills in his or her life: We make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to apply newly-learned strategies to projects and big tests. This reinforces concepts and encourages the development of lifelong habits.
- Feel more confident tackling new challenges: In addition to teaching practical skills, we encourage positive behaviors and attitudes so your teen develops confidence and perseverance to conquer big expectations.
- Develop skills that will come in handy in the future: It all starts with thriving in high school, but you want to see your teen succeed through college and beyond, too. Sylvan can help your son or daughter work on essential skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation!