Looking to make sure your child is fostering good study habits early on? Our Study Skills programs in Ames are designed to help your son or daughter learn the tools to conquer growing workloads starting in elementary school and beyond. If your child is starting to fall behind or is looking for ways to get ahead, our tutors can provide valuable study tips that will encourage growth.
How to Study Smarter
We ensure that good study habits become second nature by combining personal instruction with independent practice—and plentiful opportunities to put developing skills to the test!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Seeing as every child has specialized needs, instilling helpful habits that emphasize positive behaviors and attitudes towards study habits won’t necessary be one size fits all. Our Personalized Tutoring programs are designed to take that into account. You can expect the following skill sets to be covered:
- Active reading: Nurturing strong comprehension skills will be helpful across all subjects.
- Time management: Efficient study skills rely on the ability organize and prioritize work.
- Note taking strategies: Utilizing tools such as flash cards and color coding can make studying more efficient.
- Research: How to evaluate sources, find relevant information and write a bibliography.
- Understanding the writing process: Through practice, your child will become a more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Finding, evaluating and sharing digital information in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From study habits to digital literacy, goal setting, communication and research skills, our expert tutors help teens develop academic tools and techniques that are invaluable well into adulthood. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Focus on the most relevant areas: You choose the skill areas — such as time management or presentation skills — so we can focus on them and make the biggest difference.
- Be more confident when tackling new challenges: We foster positive behaviors so your teen can feel good about overcoming big academic challenges.
- Develop future-ready skills: We help teens work on fundamental skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation.