It isn’t always simple to stay on top of academic responsibilities like homework and essays while juggling extracurricular activities, college preparation and a social life at the same time. However, Sylvan’s study skills program in the Des Moines and Ames region can help ensure your teen is well-equipped for this thrilling yet turbulent period in his or her life. Our study skills program is specifically aimed at students in grades 4-12 and focuses on "higher order" thinking strategies and techniques, including organization, time management and strategic planning. These skills will not only help set your child on the path to success in high school and college, but they can also carry forward into his or her personal and professional life. Discover for yourself how our friendly tutors in the Des Moines and Ames region can help your child accomplish goals and realize his or her potential.
A Comprehensive Education
While you may be familiar with helping your child with a spelling question or a science fair project, equipping him or her with effective study skills and techniques may not come as easy. Rest assured our skilled tutors in the Des Moines and Ames region use a range of study strategies to equip your child with practical skills that can be applied in school, in college and beyond: organizational tactics, time management techniques, academic planning tips and more.▼
We Can Help With All Kinds of Study Skills, Including:
- Time Management
Here's What You Can Expect
There’s much more to achieving academic success than receiving a good grade on an assignment or an exam. This is why our study skills tutors in the Des Moines and Ames region take the bigger picture into account. We have carefully developed our program around preparing your son or daughter for the increasing workloads and growing expectations ahead. This involves teaching strategies for setting goals and equipping students with study tips that can be used over and over again.
Our study skills program focuses on techniques for smarter studying, including:
- Time management to successfully manage schedules and schoolwork.
- Academic and strategic planning to set concrete short-term and long-term projects and goals.
- Organization to create an orderly study area and better tackle schoolwork.
- Performance management to set personal expectations and use an academic planner.
- Expectation management for successfully identifying teacher expectations and priorities.
- How to use active listening.
- Understanding and tackling college admissions requirements, including the college essay.
- Job interview preparation techniques, including crafting and effective resume and cover letter, and practicing interview questions.