It's never too early to develop strong study habits! Our Study Skills programs in the Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Dubuque region help equip students with essential skills they can put to good use throughout their education. This includes time management skills, strategies for taking on heavier workloads, research tips and more. No matter if your child is starting to fall behind in school or eager to get ahead, our proven programs deliver real results.
Smart and Effective Study Strategies
We provide a mix of instruction and independent practice to ensure great study skills become ingrained habits. After all, kids and teens need these habits in school — and long after they graduate!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child has different needs. That’s why a one-size-fits-all approach to learning just won’t work, especially when it comes to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in every subject area. Rest assured our Personalized Tutoring program caters to your son or daughter’s particular needs. Here are a few of the skill sets we teach:
- Active reading strategies: Boosted reading skills means better comprehension in all subject areas.
- Honing the writing process: We can help students better express themselves through writing and become more skilled communicators.
- Note-taking techniques: Get the most out of study time with effective strategies like flash cards, color-coding and more.
- Time management: Challenging workloads can sometimes be overwhelming. We can help your child better organize and prioritize for more efficiency (and less stress!) come homework time.
- Research skills: By focusing on specific subjects, we explore the most effective ways to assess sources and put together bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help kids learn how to find, assess and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From getting more proficient at studying and advanced research to setting smart goals, we can help teens enrich skills that they can take with them into adulthood. We provide the motivation and inspiration your child needs to go after goals and reach his or her full potential. Our Advancement & Test Prep program helps your teen:
- Sharpen the right skills: This is a modular program. You get to decide which areas we focus on, ensuring we attend to your teen's most important needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students enjoy plenty of opportunities to apply their new strategies. This reinforces concepts and turns good habits into lifelong assets.
- Feel more confident: We know how to foster positive behaviors, resulting in confident teens that prepare, persevere and meet big expectations.
- Get a head start on adult responsibilities: These skills don't stop at college. At Sylvan, your son or daughter can work on advanced techniques in goal setting, job interview preparation and even public speaking!