Balancing homework, essays and projects with after school activities and part-time jobs — not to mention social events — can be quite the challenge. However, Sylvan’s study skills program in the Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Dubuque region can help ensure your teen is well-equipped for this thrilling yet turbulent period in his or her life. We've specifically designed our study skills program for students in grades 4-12, focusing on "higher order" thinking skills and strategies such as time management, academic planning and interview preparation. After all, equipping your child with effective study skills can translate into greater success in the classroom, in college and in future careers. Contact us today to discover how our knowledgeable tutors in the Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Dubuque region can help your child realize his or goals and take on increasing workloads with confidence.
Our Proven Approach
You might be accustomed to assisting your child with a math question or an art project, but equipping him or her with effective study skills and strategies can be a challenge. Using an encompassing array of study strategies and techniques, our talented tutors in the Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Dubuque region zero in on practical skills that can be put to use immediately in school and beyond: time management and organization, academic and strategic planning, and more.▼
Building Skills, Boosting Confidence
Achieving academic success is one thing, but there's more to succeeding at school than exams and assignments alone. That’s why our study skills experts in the Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Dubuque region ensure the bigger picture is accounted for. We've designed our program to ensure your son or daughter is fully prepared for the growing workloads and expectations ahead. This means teaching invaluable goal-setting strategies and study techniques that can be applied over and over again.
Our study skills program focuses on techniques for smarter studying, including:
- Time management for effectively managing time and schoolwork.
- Strategic planning for setting short-term and long term-goals.
- Academic planning for mapping out and tracking long-term projects.
- Better organization for tackling coursework, optimizing a personal study area, setting personal expectations and utilizing an academic planner.
- How to use active listening.
- How to identify teacher expectations and priorities.
- Getting to understand college admissions requirements, including the college admission essay.
- Job interviewing techniques and how to write an impactful cover letter and resume.