Want to ensure your child is developing strong study habits early on? With our Study Skills program in Sycamore you can help your son or daughter learn how to take on every academic challenge with ease, from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your child has started to fall behind in class or has the ambition to get ahead, our study tips and techniques are proven to make a big difference.
Tips for Studying Smart
We ensure that good study habits become second nature by combining personal instruction with independent practice—and plentiful opportunities to put developing skills to the test!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Each and every child has unique learning needs, which means there are multiple ways to instill practical academic behaviors and effective, life-long study skills. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring program comes in. The following skill sets are covered:
- Time management: Your child will learn how to organize and prioritize, developing more efficient study skills along the way.
- Active reading strategies: Developing better comprehension skills will help your child across all subjects.
- Effective note taking strategies: Using tools like flash cards and color coding can make studying more effective.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject including evaluating sources and writing a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: With practice, your child will become a stronger, more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including learning how to locate, evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors teach teens skills that can be used in school, college and beyond, including digital literacy, goal setting, study habits, time management and more. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Increase confidence for taking on new challenges: We encourage positive attitudes towards studying so your teen understands how to persevere through tough challenges.
- Develop and build on important skills: The skill areas we focus on is up to you. We'll target time management, note taking or presentation skills — whatever your child needs!
- Improve on skills that will be important in the future: Sylvan is here to teach lifelong skills for presentations, goal setting and job interview preparation.