Strong study habits are essential for even the youngest learners. The goal of our Study Skills programs in Carterville is to provide your son or daughter with the tools that will help them tackle growing workloads starting in elementary school all the way to college and beyond. Providing effective study tips is what our tutors do best, so if your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead in class, we’re here to make sure they achieve their goals.
Tips for Studying Smart
The changing demands kids and teens face at school call for a foundation of strong study skills. By combining instruction with plenty of practice and chances to test developing skills, we can make sure habits become ingrained!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child has unique needs, which means the process of instilling useful, life-long study skills, and reinforcing positive behaviors and attitudes when it comes to studying won’t be one size fits all. Our Personalized Tutoring programs are designed to take that into account. Here are the skill sets you can expect to be covered:
- Time management: Your child will learn how to organize and prioritize, developing more efficient study skills along the way.
- Active reading strategies: Developing better comprehension skills will help your child across all subjects.
- Effective note taking strategies: Using tools like flash cards and color coding can make studying more effective.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject including evaluating sources and writing a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: With practice, your child will become a stronger, more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including learning how to locate, evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors teach teens skills that can be used in school, college and beyond, including digital literacy, goal setting, study habits, time management and more. Motivation and inspiration are the keys to making sure your teen strives to meet—and exceed his or her potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build a strong foundation of essential skills: Let us know what areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, presentation skills or note taking — and we'll make sure your teen is getting the right guidance.
- Learn how to apply skills to real life: To solidify the value of newly-acquired skills, we make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to put them to use completing assignments and tests.
- Instill the confidence to take on new challenges: Positive behaviors and attitudes will supplement the practical skills learned so your teen has the confidence to meet any challenge head on.
- Develop skills for the future: Thriving in high school is only the beginning. Sylvan can make sure your son or daughter succeeds well beyond the classroom with essential skills like goal setting, public speaking and how to prepare for a job interview!