Developing strong study habits early on is essential if you want your child to succeed. Our Study Skills programs in Bannockburn can help educate your son or daughter on how to manage increasing workloads from elementary, high school and college to the workforce. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Learning How to Study More Effectively
When kids and teens face growing demands kids at school, it's critical to have well-developed study habits. We mix one-on-one instruction with independent tasks (and lots of opportunities to put developing skills to the test) in order to ensure that effective habits become second nature!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. Our Personalized Tutoring programs are designed to take that into account. Special attention will be paid to the following skill sets:
- Active reading: Nurturing strong comprehension skills will be helpful across all subjects.
- Time management: Efficient study skills rely on the ability organize and prioritize work.
- Note taking strategies: Utilizing tools such as flash cards and color coding can make studying more efficient.
- Research: How to evaluate sources, find relevant information and write a bibliography.
- Understanding the writing process: Through practice, your child will become a more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Finding, evaluating and sharing digital information in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From study habits to digital literacy, goal setting, communication and research skills, our expert tutors help teens develop academic tools and techniques that are invaluable well into adulthood. We work hard to empower teens, inspiring them to study smarter and make better progress towards their full academic potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Learn how to put skills to work: Using newly acquired skills to complete a range of projects and tests is the key to making sure concepts really stick and good habits are formed.
- Build on and sharpen required skills: Whether you want us to focus on note taking, presentation skills or time management, we'll make sure to target the areas your teen needs extra help.
- Improve confidence for meeting challenges head on: While we teach practical skills, we'll also make sure to foster positive attitudes towards studying you're your child feels capable of meeting big expectations.
- Develop competencies that will be essential moving forward: It starts with success in high school, but you want to see your teen continue to thrive after graduation. Sylvan can help with the development of important skills like job interview prep, presenting and goal setting.