There’s no wrong time to start developing effective study habits! With our Study Skills programs in the Chicagoland, your son or daughter has the opportunity to develop skills that will serve them well throughout their education. Areas of focus include time management skills to effectively transition from elementary school to college and even in the workplace. Whether the aim is to prevent your child from falling behind or give them extra support to get ahead, our proven study tips and techniques will make a big difference.
Effective Study Techniques
Through a combination of instruction and independent learning, we help ensure effective study habits become second nature. These are fundamental habits that children can take with them long after they graduate!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
No two children have the exact same needs. For this reason, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially in relation to attitudes and behaviors that impact performance in all subject areas. You can feel good knowing our Personalized Tutoring program zeros in on your child’s unique needs. The skills sets we work on include:
- Strategies for active reading: Strengthened comprehension skills can make a big difference across all subject areas.
- Boosted writing skills: We can help your child become a more effective communicator.
- Techniques for note-taking: Get equipped with smart strategies for ensuring more productive study time, including flash cards, color-coding and more.
- Better time management skills: When it comes to heavy workloads, it can be difficult knowing where to start. That’s why we’re here to help your child organize and prioritize for optimal results.
- Honing research skills: Focusing on a particular subject, we can explore the best ways to assess sources and put together bibliographies.
- Internet safety: We can help children understand how to use the internet in a safe and responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From getting more proficient at studying and advanced research to setting smart goals, we can help teens enrich skills that they can take with them into adulthood. Our tutors know how to motivate and inspire students to reach their goals and get the best possible results. Features of our Advancement & Test Prep program include:
- Strengthen the appropriate skills: This modular program allows you to choose which topics to focus on, making sure we address your teen’s particular needs.
- Build lifelong competencies: We provide students with an abundance of opportunities to apply their new skills. This helps ensure concepts stick and transforms effective techniques into lifelong habits.
- Boost confidence: Our tutors know how to motivate, inspire and reinforce positive behaviors, leading to more confidence, better preparation and greater academic success.
- Prepare for greater responsibilities ahead: These skills extend far beyond school. When your teen comes to Sylvan, he or she can develop advanced techniques when it comes to setting goals, preparing for a job interview or giving a presentation.