Want your child to get a head start on important study habits? Our Study Skills programs in Columbus are designed to help your son or daughter learn the tools to conquer growing workloads starting in elementary school and beyond. Whether your child is starting to fall behind or wants to develop the skills to get ahead, our study tips and techniques can make all the difference.
Better Strategies for Studying Smart
For kids and teens facing growing demands in the classroom, developing good study habits is essential. By combining instruction with plenty of practice and chances to test developing skills, we can make sure habits become ingrained!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Each and every child has unique learning needs, which means there are multiple ways to instill practical academic behaviors and effective, life-long study skills. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring program comes in. Special attention will be paid to the following skill sets:
- Time management: Your child will learn to organize and prioritize much more effectively.
- Active reading strategies: Stronger comprehension is an important asset across all subjects.
- Effective note taking: Flash cards, color coding and other techniques make time spent studying more productive.
- Research skills: Learning how to assess sources and write a bibliography, focusing on particular subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: In time, your son or daughter will become an effective, engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including how to locate and evaluate information, and share digital assets responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From study habits, goal setting and time management to strong communication, digital literacy, and research and writing skills, our expert tutors will teach your teen skills that will stay with him or her well into adulthood. We work hard to empower teens, inspiring them to study smarter and make better progress towards their full academic potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build a strong foundation of essential skills: Let us know what areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, presentation skills or note taking — and we'll make sure your teen is getting the right guidance.
- Learn how to apply skills to real life: To solidify the value of newly-acquired skills, we make sure your teen has plenty of opportunities to put them to use completing assignments and tests.
- Instill the confidence to take on new challenges: Positive behaviors and attitudes will supplement the practical skills learned so your teen has the confidence to meet any challenge head on.
- Develop skills for the future: Thriving in high school is only the beginning. Sylvan can make sure your son or daughter succeeds well beyond the classroom with essential skills like goal setting, public speaking and how to prepare for a job interview!