There’s no wrong time to start developing effective study habits! Our Study Skills programs in the Tallahassee and Thomasville region are focused on equipping kids with important skills they can use in the classroom and in life. This includes skills for managing heavy workloads and strategies for easing the transition from elementary school to college and even into the workforce. Whether your mission is to help keep your child from falling behind or equip them with added guidance to get ahead, our effective study strategies and techniques could make all the difference.
Effective Study Techniques
We provide a mix of instruction and independent practice to ensure great study skills become ingrained habits. These are life-long habits kids and teens can carry with them long after graduation!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child is unique. That means there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for their education, especially when it comes to behaviors and attitudes that affect performance in every subject. Fortunately, our Personalized Tutoring program accounts for every young learner's specific needs. The skills sets we work on include:
- Techniques for active reading: Strengthened comprehension skills means better understanding in all classes.
- Key writing competencies: We can help students communicate more clearly through writing.
- Smart note-taking strategies: We can help make study time as productive as possible through practical techniques like flash cards and color-coding.
- Time management: As with any challenging workload, it can be overwhelming knowing where to start. We’ll help your child learn how to effectively organize and prioritize homework.
- Research skills: We take a look at specific subjects and explore the ideal ways to evaluate sources and prepare bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help your budding learner find, evaluate and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From study habits to goal setting, digital literacy and advanced research skills, we empower teens to develop talents that are applicable well into adulthood. Our tutors know how to motivate and inspire students to reach their goals and get the best possible results. Our Advancement & Test Prep program is great for helping your teen:
- Develop the appropriate competencies: This modular program lets you choose which topics to concentrate on, so we can be sure your teen’s specific needs are met.
- Build lifelong skills: Interactive learning means students have an abundance of opportunities to put their new competencies to work. This helps concepts truly stick and turns smart habits into lifelong skill sets.
- Improve confidence: By encouraging positive behaviors, we can help teens feel more confidence and prepared to tackle big expectations ahead.
- Get ready for greater responsibilities: The skills your teen learns at Sylvan don’t just come in handy in college. You son or daughter will also work on advanced goal setting techniques, job interview preparation and more.