Have a question? You can find answers below to the most frequently asked questions from parents and students. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact your local Sylvan.
Pricing and Payments
- What is the cost of tutoring from Sylvan? Program pricing will vary because we customize our instruction to meet the specific needs of your child, as well the academic goals you set for your family. The components that make up the total cost of a tutoring program include: program length, tutoring subjects, hourly instruction cost and the payment schedule that best fits your family's needs. Contact your local Sylvan to get the most specific information about pricing and payment options.
- Does Sylvan offer financial assistance?Yes! Sylvan offers a flexible student loan program to ensure children get the tutoring help they need. Affordable monthly payments options are available and the approval process is easy.
- Does Sylvan have any special offers for new customers?Yes, new customers can save $100 right now. Simply click here to provide your contact information and receive a coupon for $100 off your child's personal tutoring program.
- What makes Sylvan's tutoring so effective?Sylvan's custom learning experience starts with students taking our Sylvan Skills Assessment® which pinpoints your child's exact academic strengths and needs, or 'skill gaps.' The results of this test allow Sylvan to tailor a program specific to those skills that need strengthening. To ensure a true understanding of the material being covered, Sylvan tutors use a highly effective method of instruction known as 'Mastery Learning'. With this type of instruction, students are taught to master a skill before they progress to the next one. This mastery includes working on skills independently to ensure retention.
- Why does Sylvan assess my child when the school assesses students?The cornerstone of the highly personalized plan Sylvan will develop for your child depends on our Sylvan Skills Assessment®. We need to be sure we know exactly what your child needs in order to unlock the potential we all know is there. Our assessment is a proprietary combination of standardized tests, diagnostic tools and personal interviews. The results give our education experts what they need to tailor the learning plan exactly to your child's needs.
- How will I know that my child is really making progress?The positive changes in your child at home and in school will be obvious. Additionally, we will re-test your child periodically to see how much he or she has advanced in each area of need. Sylvan's staff will share those progress reports with you, as well as schedule regular monthly conferences with you to discuss how your child is advancing through his or her individualized program.
- What programs does Sylvan offer?Sylvan creates individual programs in reading, math, writing, homework help, study skills, state test prep, SAT*/ACT® prep and more. Sylvan offers in-center tutoring to inspire confidence in all kids, pre-K through 12th grade. For more details on our programs, please check out Our Programs.
- What kind of training do Sylvan tutors have?Sylvan's tutors are trained and certified in Sylvan instructional techniques. Everyone at Sylvan shares a love for teaching, a commitment to children and a desire to help them succeed - in school and in life. Seeing your child do his or her best is as rewarding to our staff as it is to you and your family.
- Can Sylvan tutors give my child the individual attention he or she needs?Sylvan's distinct advantage is the customized and individualized instruction your child receives from our tutors. At Sylvan, tutors work with no more than three children at a time. While the first student is receiving direct instruction on his or her individual plan, the second and third are engaged in guided or independent work—mastering and reinforcing the skills on their individual plans. This type of personalized interaction ensures that your child will have his or her questions and needs addressed quickly. At Sylvan, there is no danger of being 'left behind,' as might occur in a larger group setting.
- What is the environment like in the center?Each Sylvan center is a safe, clean and modern environment, staffed by our education experts committed to helping your child succeed. We work hard to ensure each center maintains a cheerful and engaging environment.
- Does Sylvan offer bilingual services?Yes, some Sylvan Centers have Spanish-speaking staff. Please specifically ask your local Sylvan Center as Spanish-speaking staff are not available at all locations.
- Do Sylvan tutors work with my child's teacher or school?Definitely. With your permission, Sylvan will work in partnership with your child's classroom teacher (and your family) to ensure the progress made at Sylvan is also reflected in class work. Classroom teachers play a key role in the outcome of your child's learning program.
- How many times a week will my child need to come?Working with you and your family, Sylvan will determine the number of tutoring sessions per week, based on your child's specific needs. To meet your family's busy schedule, we offer convenient hours, including after-school, evening and weekend sessions.
- How do I know my child needs a tutor?There are some clear signs that your child may need a tutor. If your child is losing interest in learning, struggling to focus on reading or homework, receiving poor test scores or developing low self-esteem, it is important to take action early and seek a reputable tutoring provider such as Sylvan. A good personal tutor inspires and helps students develop study habits and organizational skills that will result in significantly improved schoolwork and test scores.
- My child has lost all interest in school. How can Sylvan tutors help him get motivated?Sylvan's motivational incentives are vital to the success of our tutoring plan. Sylvan tutors reinforce success by rewarding your child throughout the entire tutoring program. This includes:
- keeping students engaged through genuine personal praise
- ensuring students start at the appropriate skill level so every lesson is challenging, yet not frustrating
- kid-focused tangible rewards for achievement