Want to encourage your child to start developing strong study habits as soon as possible? Our Study Skills programs in Sherman Oaks empower students to handle the demands of increasing academic workloads from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Learning How to Study More Effectively
Combining practice, instruction and frequent opportunities to practice new skills, we know how to ensure good study habits become a way of life!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Since no two children are exactly alike, the best approach for encouraging smart study habits and reinforcing positive attitudes and behaviors won’t be the same across the board. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring programs can help. Here are the skill sets you can expect to be covered:
- Time management: Your child will learn to organize and prioritize much more effectively.
- Active reading strategies: Stronger comprehension is an important asset across all subjects.
- Effective note taking: Flash cards, color coding and other techniques make time spent studying more productive.
- Research skills: Learning how to assess sources and write a bibliography, focusing on particular subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: In time, your son or daughter will become an effective, engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including how to locate and evaluate information, and share digital assets responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors know that teaching your teen things like smart study habits, good time management, how to set goals, digital literacy and strong research and writing skills are essential for success well into adulthood. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen required skills: Whether you want us to focus on note taking, presentation skills or time management, we'll make sure to target the areas your teen needs extra help.
- Improve confidence for meeting challenges head on: We make sure to foster positive attitudes towards studying so your child feels capable of meeting big expectations.
- Develop competencies that will be essential moving forward: Sylvan can help with the development of important skills like job interview prep, presenting and goal setting.