Want to encourage your child to start developing strong study habits as soon as possible? Our Study Skills programs in El Cerrito can help educate your son or daughter on how to manage increasing workloads from elementary, high school and college to the workforce. Whether your child is starting to fall behind or wants to develop the skills to get ahead, our study tips and techniques can make all the difference.
Tips for Studying Smart
Combining practice, instruction and frequent opportunities to practice new skills, we know how to ensure good study habits become a way of life!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Seeing as every child has specialized needs, instilling helpful habits that emphasize positive behaviors and attitudes towards study habits won’t necessary be one size fits all. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring program comes in. The following skill sets will be covered:
- Time management: Your child will learn how to organize and prioritize, developing more efficient study skills along the way.
- Active reading strategies: Developing better comprehension skills will help your child across all subjects.
- Effective note taking strategies: Using tools like flash cards and color coding can make studying more effective.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject including evaluating sources and writing a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: With practice, your child will become a stronger, more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Including learning how to locate, evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors teach teens skills that can be used in school, college and beyond, including digital literacy, goal setting, study habits, time management and more. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Increase confidence for taking on new challenges: We encourage positive attitudes towards studying so your teen understands how to persevere through tough challenges.
- Develop and build on important skills: The skill areas we focus on is up to you. We'll target time management, note taking or presentation skills — whatever your child needs!
- Improve on skills that will be important in the future: Sylvan is here to teach lifelong skills for presentations, goal setting and job interview preparation.