Strong study habits are essential for even the youngest learners. Our Study Skills programs in Brentwood empower students to handle the demands of increasing academic workloads from elementary school to college and beyond. If you’ve noticed your child is falling behind or he or she could use some guidance to get ahead, our tutors are available to provide study tips that will ensure progress.
How to Study Smarter
Sound study habits are the perfect antidote for the growing demands kids and teens face at school. At Sylvan, instruction is supplemented with lots of opportunity for hands-on practice to test out new skills and guarantee lifelong habits are being formed!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
There's no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" way to instill positive academic behavior and instill life-long study skills — after all, every child has unique needs. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program is designed to be comprehensive. The following skill sets will be covered:
- Active reading: Nurturing strong comprehension skills will be helpful across all subjects.
- Time management: Efficient study skills rely on the ability organize and prioritize work.
- Note taking strategies: Utilizing tools such as flash cards and color coding can make studying more efficient.
- Research: How to evaluate sources, find relevant information and write a bibliography.
- Understanding the writing process: Through practice, your child will become a more engaging writer.
- Online safety: Finding, evaluating and sharing digital information in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From study habits, goal setting and time management to strong communication, digital literacy, and research and writing skills, our expert tutors will teach your teen skills that will stay with him or her well into adulthood. Motivation and inspiration are the keys to making sure your teen strives to meet—and exceed his or her potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Feel more confident: We teach positive behaviors and attitudes — not just academic skills — to help teens approach new challenges with unshakeable confidence.
- Build the right skills: Choose which areas need attention — such as time management or presentation skills — to ensure we're making the biggest possible difference for your young learner.
- Make immediate gains: Your teen will have lots of opportunities to apply his or her new skills to real-world assignments and tests.
- Acquire life-long assets: High school is the immediate priority, of course, but you want to see your teen succeed through college and beyond, too. We're also here to provide important career preparation, including job interview techniques and even public speaking!