Building smart study habits can be key to a brighter future! Our Study Skills programs in the Birmingham, Anniston and Tuscaloosa region help equip students with essential skills they can put to good use throughout their education. That includes workload management skills to help cope with the challenging progression from elementary school to college and beyond. Whether your mission is to help keep your child from falling behind or equip them with added guidance to get ahead, our effective study strategies and techniques could make all the difference.
Get Smart About Studying
Through a combination of instruction and independent learning, we help ensure effective study habits become second nature. These are essential habits that children can take with them as they grow up and expectations increase.
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Each child is different. This is why we never take a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially when certain behaviors and attitudes can have a big impact on every subject. Rest assured, our Personalized Tutoring program takes into account your child’s unique needs. You can expect your child to be equipped with a skill set that includes:
- Techniques for active reading: Strengthened comprehension skills means better understanding in all classes.
- Key writing competencies: We can help students communicate more clearly through writing.
- Smart note-taking strategies: We can help make study time as productive as possible through practical techniques like flash cards and color-coding.
- Time management: As with any challenging workload, it can be overwhelming knowing where to start. We’ll help your child learn how to effectively organize and prioritize homework.
- Research skills: We take a look at specific subjects and explore the ideal ways to evaluate sources and prepare bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help your budding learner find, evaluate and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From setting goals to developing more effective studying and research habits, we empower teens to hone skills they can carry with them well into their adult years. Our tutors know how to motivate and inspire students to reach their goals and get the best possible results. Features of our Advancement & Test Prep program include:
- Strengthen the appropriate skills: This modular program allows you to choose which topics to focus on, making sure we address your teen’s particular needs.
- Build lifelong competencies: We provide students with an abundance of opportunities to apply their new skills. This helps ensure concepts stick and transforms effective techniques into lifelong habits.
- Boost confidence: Our tutors know how to motivate, inspire and reinforce positive behaviors, leading to more confidence, better preparation and greater academic success.
- Prepare for greater responsibilities ahead: These skills extend far beyond school. When your teen comes to Sylvan, he or she can develop advanced techniques when it comes to setting goals, preparing for a job interview or giving a presentation.