Want to encourage your child to start developing strong study habits as soon as possible? The goal of our Study Skills programs in Whitby is to provide your son or daughter with the tools that will help them tackle growing workloads starting in elementary school all the way to university and beyond. If your child is starting to fall behind or is looking for ways to get ahead, our tutors can provide valuable study tips that will encourage growth.
Studying Smarter with Instant Results
We mix one-on-one instruction with independent tasks (and lots of opportunities to put developing skills to the test) in order to ensure that good study habits become second nature!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Because every child has individual needs, there's no one-size-fits-all method to instill life-long study skills and facilitate positive academic behaviors and attitudes. But our Personalized Tutoring program is broad, detailed, and customizable. You can expect the following skill sets to be covered:
- Research skills: Finding and evaluating relevant sources, and writing an accurate bibliography.
- Effective note taking strategies: From color coding to flash cards, study aids can help material stick.
- Active reading skills: Better reading comprehension will be valuable to your child in every subject.
- Time management: Supplement strong study habits with good prioritization and organizational skills.
- Master the writing process: Encourage your child to become a stronger, more effective writer.
- Online safety: Tips for locating and evaluate relevant sources as well as how to share digital information responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors are dedicated to teaching your teen strong study habits, digital literacy, goal setting, time management an and research and writing skills — all of which will be with him or her well into university and beyond. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build on and sharpen the right skills: You choose the skill areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, effective note-taking or presentation skills — so we’re honing in on the areas your teen needs the most guidance.
- Feel more confident tackling new challenges: We encourage positive behaviors and attitudes so your teen develops confidence and perseverance to conquer big expectations.
- Develop skills that will come in handy in the future: Sylvan can help your son or daughter work on essential skills like public speaking, goal setting and even job interview preparation!