Do you want your child to start building smart study habits now? Our Study Skills programs in Ottawa empower students to reach their full potential when faced with the challenges of a growing workload, from elementary school to university and beyond. If you’ve noticed your child is falling behind or he or she could use some guidance to get ahead, our tutors are available to provide study tips that will ensure progress.
How to Study Smarter
From instruction to lots of independent practice and chances to put new skills to work, we can turn good study habits into a way of life!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Since no two children are exactly alike, the best approach for encouraging smart study habits and reinforcing positive attitudes and behaviors won’t be the same across the board. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program takes a comprehensive approach. A wide range of skills are covered, including:
- Time management: Focusing on organizing and prioritizing, we can take the stress out of any academic workload.
- Active reading strategies: See the benefits in all subject areas when your child develops better comprehension skills.
- Effective note taking strategies: Get more from study time with the smart use of flash cards, color coding and other techniques.
- Research skills: Evaluating sources in specific subjects and learning how to craft a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: We explore how to strengthen writing skills and communicate more effectively.
- Online safety: We can't overstate the importance of staying safe online! These sessions focus on locating, evaluating and sharing digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our tutors are experts at teaching your teen strong research, writing and study skill as well as digital literacy, time management and goal setting — all of which will come in handy well into adulthood. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Build a strong foundation of essential skills: Let us know what areas you want us to focus on — such as time management, presentation skills or note taking — and we'll make sure your teen is getting the right guidance.
- Instill the confidence to take on new challenges: Positive behaviors and attitudes will supplement the practical skills learned so your teen has the confidence to meet any challenge head on.
- Develop skills for the future: Sylvan can make sure your son or daughter succeeds well beyond the classroom with essential skills like goal setting, public speaking and how to prepare for a job interview!