There’s no wrong time to start developing effective study habits! Our Study Skills programs in the Halifax region help equip students with essential skills they can put to good use throughout their education. That includes workload management skills to help cope with the challenging progression from elementary school to university and beyond. Whether the aim is to prevent your child from falling behind or give them extra support to get ahead, our proven study tips and techniques will make a big difference.
Smart Study Strategies
We combine instruction and independent practice to ensure that good study habits become second nature. These are essential habits that children can take with them as they grow up and expectations increase.
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child is unique. That means there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for their education, especially when it comes to behaviors and attitudes that affect performance in every subject. Rest assured, our Personalized Tutoring program takes into account your child’s unique needs. The skill sets we focus on include:
- Techniques for active reading: Strengthened comprehension skills means better understanding in all classes.
- Key writing competencies: We can help students communicate more clearly through writing.
- Smart note-taking strategies: We can help make study time as productive as possible through practical techniques like flash cards and color-coding.
- Time management: As with any challenging workload, it can be overwhelming knowing where to start. We’ll help your child learn how to effectively organize and prioritize homework.
- Research skills: We take a look at specific subjects and explore the ideal ways to evaluate sources and prepare bibliographies.
- Cyber safety: We can help your budding learner find, evaluate and share digital information in a safe and responsible manner.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From getting more proficient at studying and advanced research to setting smart goals, we can help teens enrich skills that they can take with them into adulthood. Our tutors know how to motivate and inspire students to reach their goals and get the best possible results. Through our Advancement & Test Prep program, your teen will:
- Sharpen the right skills: This is a modular program. You get to decide which areas we focus on, ensuring we attend to your teen's most important needs.
- Develop lifelong skills: Our students enjoy plenty of opportunities to apply their new strategies. This reinforces concepts and turns good habits into lifelong assets.
- Feel more confident: We know how to foster positive behaviors, resulting in confident teens that prepare, persevere and meet big expectations.
- Get a head start on adult responsibilities: These skills don't stop at university. At Sylvan, your son or daughter can work on advanced techniques in goal setting, job interview preparation and even public speaking!