Developing strong study habits is essential to success! With our Study Skills programs in the Halifax region, your son or daughter has the opportunity to develop skills that will serve them well throughout their education. That includes workload management skills to help cope with the challenging progression from elementary school to university and beyond. No matter if your child is falling behind in class or eager to get ahead, our programs will deliver real results.
Get Smart About Studying
Through a combination of instruction and independent learning, we help ensure effective study habits become second nature. After all, kids and teens face growing demands and expectations that don't stop at school — they're still there after graduation!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Every child is unique. That means there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for their education, especially when it comes to behaviors and attitudes that affect performance in every subject. You can feel good knowing our Personalized Tutoring program zeros in on your child’s unique needs. Here are a few of the skill sets we teach:
- Active reading strategies: Better comprehension skills are invaluable across the full range of school subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: Comprehension is one thing; expression is another. We help students become more capable and engaging communicators.
- Effective note-taking strategies: Make study time far more efficient and effective with flash cards, color coding and other practical techniques.
- Time management: Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. But your child will learn how to organize and prioritize even the most challenging workload.
- Research skills: We focus on specific subjects in turn, and explore the best ways to evaluate sources and write bibliographies.
- Online safety: We help young learners navigate the internet safely, including how to locate, assess and share digital informational in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
From study habits to goal setting, digital literacy and advanced research skills, we empower teens to develop talents that are applicable well into adulthood. Our tutors are here to provide the motivation and inspiration students need to achieve all their goals. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Strengthen the right skills: Through this modular program you can choose which topics of study to focus on, which helps ensure your teen’s specific needs are taken care of.
- Build lifelong competencies: We provide plenty of opportunities for Sylvan students to put their new skills to work. This helps engrain key concepts and turn smart habits into lifelong competencies.
- Gain confidence: By encouraging and reinforcing positive behaviors, we can help your teen feel more confident, more motivated and more prepared to take on big tasks.
- Prepare for the future: We can help your teen get a head start on adult responsibilities by working on advanced strategies in goal setting, public speaking, job interview preparation and more.