Developing strong study habits early on is essential if you want your child to succeed. Our Study Skills programs in Abbotsford empower students to reach their full potential when faced with the challenges of a growing workload, from elementary school to university and beyond. Our tutors know which study tips and techniques will have the biggest impact, whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead.
Study Smart from Day One
Demanding school workloads are a fact of academic life, requiring kids and teens to have well-developed study habits. We combine instruction with plenty of practice and hands-on exercises to test out developing skills to make sure they are becoming habits!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
The right approach for instilling positive attitudes towards studying and smart study habits depends on each child’s unique needs. That's why our Personalized Tutoring program takes a comprehensive approach.
- Reading comprehension: Active reading is a useful skill across all subjects
- Time management: Better prioritization and organization skills can add to study skills.
- Research skills: How to focus on a single subject, judge sources and write a proper bibliography.
- Note taking tips: Using color coding and flash cards as aids can help make study time more effective.
- Mastering writing skills: With practice, your child will understand the writing process and how to use it effectively.
- Online safety: How to locate, evaluate and responsibly share digital information.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our expert tutors know that teaching your teen things like smart study habits, good time management, how to set goals, digital literacy and strong research and writing skills are essential for success well into adulthood. Our tutors know how to inspire your ambitious teen to study smart and work hard to reach — and surpass — his or her potential. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Sharpen the right skills: You determine which skills need more attention — such as time management or research — so we can ensure we're focusing on the right areas for the most noticeable results.
- Apply new skills to current schoolwork: We make sure your teen has the opportunity to apply newly-learned techniques to upcoming assignments and tests.
- Feel more confident: The positive behaviors and attitudes we foster are a big step towards building confidence and meeting big expectations.
- Develop vital assets for the future: The immediate concern is high school, but we understand that you want your teen to prepare for success throughout his or her life. Sylvan can also provide guidance for public speaking, job interview preparation and other important skills for young adults.