Want to encourage your child to start developing strong study habits as soon as possible? With our Study Skills program in Sherwood Park you can help your son or daughter learn how to take on every academic challenge with ease, from elementary school to university and beyond. Whether your child is falling behind or wants to get ahead, our tutors are here to help with effective study tips that make a difference.
Guidance for Studying Smart
We ensure that good study habits become second nature by combining personal instruction with independent practice—and plentiful opportunities to put developing skills to the test!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Each and every child has unique learning needs, which means there are multiple ways to instill practical academic behaviors and effective, life-long study skills. That’s where our Personalized Tutoring programs can be of assistance. Here are the skill sets you can expect to be covered:
- Effective note taking strategies: There are many ways to make study time more productive, such as flash cards and color coding.
- Active reading strategies: Strong comprehension skills are important in every subject.
- Research skills: Focusing on a particular subject, we explore how to evaluate sources and create a bibliography.
- Mastering the writing process: We know how to bring out each student's inner writer, transforming them into much more effective communicators.
- Time management: Take the stress out of growing workloads with advanced organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Online safety: We help students learn how to use the internet safely, including how to evaluate and share digital informational responsibly.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
Our tutors are experts at teaching your teen strong research, writing and study skill as well as digital literacy, time management and goal setting — all of which will come in handy well into adulthood. With Advancement & Test Prep, your teen will:
- Increase confidence for taking on new challenges: We encourage positive attitudes towards studying so your teen understands how to persevere through tough challenges.
- Develop and build on important skills: The skill areas we focus on is up to you. We'll target time management, note taking or presentation skills — whatever your child needs!
- Improve on skills that will be important in the future: Sylvan is here to teach lifelong skills for presentations, goal setting and job interview preparation.