It's never too early to develop strong study habits! Our Study Skills programs in the Edmonton region help equip students with essential skills they can put to good use throughout their education. This includes skills for managing heavy workloads and strategies for easing the transition from elementary school to university and even into the workforce. No matter if your child is falling behind in class or eager to get ahead, our programs will deliver real results.
Smart Study Strategies
Combining both instruction and independent learning, we help ensure smart study skills become deep-rooted habits. After all, kids and teens need these habits in school — and long after they graduate!
Personalized Tutoring (K-12)
Each child is different. This is why we never take a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, especially when certain behaviors and attitudes can have a big impact on every subject. Rest assured, our Personalized Tutoring program takes into account your child’s unique needs. Here are just some of the skill sets we focus on:
- Active reading strategies: Better comprehension skills are invaluable across the full range of school subjects.
- Mastering the writing process: Comprehension is one thing; expression is another. We help students become more capable and engaging communicators.
- Effective note-taking strategies: Make study time far more efficient and effective with flash cards, color coding and other practical techniques.
- Time management: Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. But your child will learn how to organize and prioritize even the most challenging workload.
- Research skills: We focus on specific subjects in turn, and explore the best ways to evaluate sources and write bibliographies.
- Online safety: We help young learners navigate the internet safely, including how to locate, assess and share digital informational in a responsible way.
Advancement & Test Prep (Grades 9-12)
We empower advanced students to master skills that will serve them well in school and beyond, from effective studying and goal-setting habits to writing and research skills. Our tutors know how to motivate and inspire students to reach their goals and get the best possible results. Our Advancement & Test Prep program is great for helping your teen:
- Develop the appropriate competencies: This modular program lets you choose which topics to concentrate on, so we can be sure your teen’s specific needs are met.
- Build lifelong skills: Interactive learning means students have an abundance of opportunities to put their new competencies to work. This helps concepts truly stick and turns smart habits into lifelong skill sets.
- Improve confidence: By encouraging positive behaviors, we can help teens feel more confidence and prepared to tackle big expectations ahead.
- Get ready for greater responsibilities: The skills your teen learns at Sylvan don’t just come in handy in university. You son or daughter will also work on advanced goal setting techniques, job interview preparation and more.